I’m a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Chemical Dependency Professional. I hold additional credentials as a Certified Clinical Trauma Professional, Child Mental Health Specialist, and Sexual Minority Mental Health Specialist.
Since 2010, I’ve been facilitating well received professional development trainings at local agencies, through county or state sponsored events, and with Cascadia Training.
In addition, I’ve presented over 100 times at international, national, and regional conferences — including multiple times at conferences of the American Counseling Association, the American Mental Health Counselors Association, and the Washington Behavioral Health Council.
A member of Mindful Therapy Group since 2017, I have offices in Tukwila and Mountlake Terrace, where I meet with teens and emerging adults addressing trauma, co-occurring disorders, depression, and issues related to sexual orientation or gender identity.
Prior to entering private practice, I spent about fifteen years working at various agencies in the Seattle area — as a clinical supervisor, mental health therapist, substance abuse counselor, and experiential educator.
Much of that time was spent as a co-occurring disorders therapist for adolescents, but I’ve also worked in a residential program for sexually aggressive youth, conducted trauma therapy with pre-teen boys, led adventure therapy outings, and provided counseling at a university mental health clinic.
Along the way, I’ve come to believe in the possibility of change, the importance of connection, and the value of humor.
To find out more about my clinical practice, go to www.DavidFlack.com.
My educational background includes:
- Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology, City University of Seattle
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology, The Evergreen State College
- Certificate in Chemical Dependency Counseling, Seattle Central Community College
LICENSES & OTHER CREDENTIALS
My licenses and other credentials include:
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (#LH60548722), State of Washington
- Chemical Dependency Professional (#CP00006223), State of Washington
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional, International Association of Trauma Professionals
- Child Mental Health Specialist, State of Washington
- Sexual Minority Mental Health Specialist, State of Washington
- Approved Clinical Supervisor, State of Washington
I regularly participate in advanced continuing education and other trainings, most notably:
- Trauma-Informed Care and Counseling, presented by the University at Buffalo
- LGBT-Affirmative Psychotherapy, presented by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Clinical Trauma Professional Intensive Training, presented by the International Association of Trauma Professionals
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Foundational Training, presented by the Linehan Institute
- Clinical Applications of Mindfulness, presented by The Evergreen State College
Finally, I’ve written a few published articles, including:
- Engaging Avoidant Teens: An Attachment Based Approach to Building Therapeutic Alliance, in press and scheduled to be published soon by Counseling Today
- Beyond the Stuckness: Teens, Trauma & Substance Use Disorders, published in the Fall 2019 edition of the American Mental Health Association’s Advocate Magazine
- Getting Unstuck: Fostering Change with Teens that Have Co-occurring Disorders, published in the April 2016 edition of Counseling Today